RYA Basic Sea Survival Training
Stage pratique de survie en mer
RYA Basic Sea Survival Course prepares you to stay alive in an emergency.
It will show you how to make the best use of your liferaft and you will learn some basic survival techniques.
No experience required
Ability after Course
A good knowledge of the safety equipment carried on small boats and the techniques needed to survive at sea in heavy weather
See detailed Syllabus below
Syllabus Basic Sea Survival Course:
1. Preparation for sea survival
- Survival difficulties
- Survival requirements
- Equipment available A
- ctions prior to abandonment
2. Lifejackets and liferafts
- Lifejacket design and construction, correct donning procedure, purpose and use of lifejackets
- Safety harnesses - purpose and use
- Liferafts - stowage and containment on boardtypes, design and construction launching abandoning the vessel and boarding liferaft righting a capsized liferaft equipmentinitial actions to be taken in a liferaft
3. Principles of survival
- Methods to increase chances of survival
- Signs, symptoms and treatment of hypothermia
- Symptoms, method of treatment for sunburn, heat exhaustion and heatstroke
- Survival routines to aid location
- Correct use of pyrotechnics and other location aids
- Water rationing – procedures Dehydration and preventative measures
- Food rationing Sources of food
4. Survival craft ailments
5. Raft management
6. Search and rescue
- Rescue by helicopter or vessel
- Role of HM Coastguard
- UK and International SAR Organisation
- Other services
Our RYA Shorebased training centre partner Swiss Maritime Academy is based in Switzerland and conducts this course for us on his own responsibilities. Your details are forwarded to Swiss Maritime Academy for further booking formalities.
RYA Day Skipper
RYA Day Skipper is a demanding course for aspiring skippers with some yachting experience and basic navigation and sailing skills.
This is a hands-on course that is highly recommended for anyone who regularly sails on board a yacht. It’s designed to improve skills and build knowledge of all aspects of life at sea whilst skippering a sailing yacht during short passages.
RYA Coastal Skipper
Advanced skippering techniques for yachtsmen and women with considerable knowledge of sailing and navigation, wanting to undertake coastal passages by day and night.
RYA Coastal Skipper is the ideal qualification to follow RYA Day Skipper. It may also form a bridge to a MCA/RYA Yachtmaster™ examination. It’s designed to give an experienced skipper the confidence to undertake longer and more complex passages which may involve sailing at night or involve watch-keeping systems.